photo michele1.png  photo michele2.png  photo michele3.png  photo MIchele4.png

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Gardening In January

Today the weather was perfect.  It was sunny and in the 70s.  It's pretty unusual for a day like today in January so we took full advantage of the beautiful day.  We had a picnic and the boys played and played outside.  Mark and I were able to take care of some much needed yard work. 

We love gardening, but our yard has been neglected since we've had children.  I never felt comfortable working in the yard while I was pregnant because I was paranoid of contracting toxoplasmosis (yes, I just had to look up how to spell that).  Because of that, all of the yard work that we used to divide up and share was left for Mark to take care of all by himself.  We have a huge yard with an extra lot and he maintained the yard, but any extra work on our flower beds was just too much for him to do.  It's so nice to be past the pregnancy phase and the teeny tiny baby phase.  Since Will and Ben are older, they can happily play while we work. 

Today we planted some hardy gladiolus bulbs.  Will loves to be my little helper.  He had a good time placing the bulbs in the ground.  The bulbs were given to us by my in-laws.  They divided the bulbs in their yard and gave us enough so we can get a few groups established.  The great thing about perennials and bulbs is that they come back each year and they spread.  Once they are established you can divide them which allows them to keep spreading.  I can't wait to see them bloom this Spring.

Hardy Gladiolus Bulbs

Will and Ben helping their Dad

Sidewalk Chalk is great to keep the boys occupied

Bubbles are a favorite with my boys

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a productive fun day!! I have to say that we are having beautiful weather here in KY today as well and I'm loving it!! Now, if only I could get my hubby out in the yard to do yard work...not gonna happen!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! I'm so happy to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails