photo michele1.png  photo michele2.png  photo michele3.png  photo MIchele4.png

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Poland {Part One}

When I was 18, I went on a mission trip to Poland with my church.  It was 1996 and I had just graduated from high school.  Looking back I'm not sure how everything fell into place for me to be able to go to on that mission trip, but I'm forever grateful for the amazing life experience at such a young age.  I can't help but believe that experience has helped me be a better person today.

Our church had a special connection to Poland because our former pastor and his wife, Mark and Susie, were serving there as missionaries.  I've recently emailed back and forth with her about the details of their mission work.  It's such a neat story about such a special couple.  I'm planning to share more of their story in the next couple of posts about Poland.

Today, I wanted to share some photos of our mission trip.

Warsaw






We held a Vacation Bible School at a local orphanage.
I can still play Duck Duck Goose and sing "Jesus Loves Me" in Polish.

Even though I didn't speak Polish, I still could play chase.

We didn't have a felt board so we improvised and our pastor, James, served as the bulletin board.

The orphanage.
I'd never been to an orphanage before and it was truly a humbling experience.  The children were welcoming and loving, but leaving them was so sad.

The men worked on a building project at Mark and Susie's home.

The group before church services on Sunday.

There's so much I want to share, but I'm having a hard time knowing where to begin.  I also have several things from Poland that I want to photograph and share with you.  The memories of our work there are the most precious keepsakes, but I have some sentimental souvenirs that I brought home.  The beautiful wooden nesting dolls are my favorite.  I also have a set of beautiful crystal glasses, wooden boxes, pottery and hand painted wooden eggs.

I'll be sharing my sentimental story with Cha Cha at Sit Relax and Read.
Sit Relax and Read

3 comments:

  1. I can not wait to read all of your stories about this trip and what the couple are doing now. Mission work is such a beautiful thing, to go and do what we can----play chase. I love seeing how God used you for His work. Thanks for sharing.

    Cha Cha

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome! i am hoping one day t and i can go on a mission trip!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! I'm so happy to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails