photo michele1.png  photo michele2.png  photo michele3.png  photo MIchele4.png

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Gardening in the Fall

I've decided that gardening in the fall works best for me.  The Texas heat can be brutal on newly planted plants.  I usually set out new plants in the spring, but this year I decided to try a different season.  I found some pink and yellow coneflowers on clearance at Lowe's.  I've had good luck with purple coneflowers in the past and thought these might be a lovely addition to my backyard.  I prefer planting perennials because you can enjoy them year after year.  It's practical because it saves you money since they will return.  I planted some day old-fashioned daylilies that I got from my in-laws.  They are very hardy and do well in our soil and climate.  I also planted some red and yellow cannas, which are thrive in our warm climate.  Hopefullly these plants will get established this fall and bloom in the spring. 

Pink Coneflowers



Yellow Coneflowers

This is a beautyberry bush that is loaded with purple berries in the fall.  We received this beautyberry bush from my in-laws. 

Which reminds me that I should photograph my in-law's yard and dedicate a post to their amazing gardening skills. Their knowledge about plants is impressive. My in-laws have natural green thumbs and a phenomenal yard to prove it.

I love gardening.  Do any of you love to work in your yards and gardens?  If so, please share your tips and helpful hints.  I'd love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! I'm so happy to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails