photo michele1.png  photo michele2.png  photo michele3.png  photo MIchele4.png

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Empty Nest


My baby birds have left the nest.  Out of habit when I walk by the front door I look up to see what they are up to, but they are gone.  I loved having them there, but to be honest, the bird poop was getting to be a bit much.  Once it looked like they were on their own, I was so happy to clean off my wreath and the front door.  

I hope you can see the development of our House Finch baby birds in the photo collage above.  I took over 100 photos of the birds documenting their development.  These photos are in order from April 10th - May 4th. The final photo of our baby birds is on the bottom right.  I got too close when I took that photo and it caused them to fly the nest.  In the process, it startled me and I fell into the brick wall.  It's really funny.  I had no idea they were going to fly away.  I knew they were getting close to leaving the nest, but I didn't know it would be at that exact moment.  I'm sure you would have gotten a big laugh if you saw it.  It was funny, but at the same time a little freaky.  Sort of like a scene from the Hitchcock movie The Birds.

This is probably as close to ornithology as I'll ever get.  It's been neat to see nature do what God's designed it to do.  Maybe we'll get the opportunity to host another nest on our front door again.  If so, then you know I'll be sharing it with y'all.

To see photos of the birds I shared in a post about a month ago, click here.

Also, here's the only photo I was able to get of the mama bird.  She wasn't aware of my iPhone in the window.  I never got a photo of the daddy bird.  I saw him up close once when he landed on the nest to feed the babies, but once he spotted me he quickly flew away.

1 comment:

  1. so sweet. and kinda sad too. makes me think about our little babies leaving the nest. happy and sad. so many metaphors there.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! I'm so happy to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails