photo michele1.png  photo michele2.png  photo michele3.png  photo MIchele4.png

Friday, September 23, 2011

Land of Rest

My grandfather, Papa Ralph, passed away early in the morning on Thursday, September 22.  He was 95 years old.  My uncle called at about 3a.m. to tell me the news.  In the moment of trying to process all of the emotions I was feeling, I remember praying out loud, "Thank you God for not letting him suffer any longer."  Also, the song "We'll Work till Jesus Comes" came to mind.  Even though it's a very old hymn, it is not a song that I remember singing growing up.  I've only learned it since I started attending the church that my husband and I attend now.  The first line of the song is what brought me comfort "O land of rest, for thee I sigh!"  After watching Papa near the end of his life, I know that feeling of rest and peace is what he was longing for. 

I have so much more I want to share, and I plan to collect my thoughts and write more in the days to come.  In the meantime, the outpouring of love and support from friends and family has truly been a comfort.  I'm overwhelmed with the kindness of others.  God has blessed me with a wonderful family and friends.


I shared this photo on facebook. With the following thoughts,
Papa Ralph
June 13, 1916 - September 22, 2011
Papa lived a full life and we were blessed to have him 95 years. He loved God, his family and Celeste/Hogeye. He will be greatly missed.



Here are all of the words to the hymn that brought me comfort during this time of sadness and grief.

"We'll Work till Jesus Comes"

O land of rest, for thee I sigh!
When will the moment come
When I shall lay my armor by
And dwell in peace at home?

Refrain
We’ll work till Jesus comes,
We’ll work till Jesus comes,
We’ll work till Jesus comes,
And we’ll be gathered home.

No tranquil joys on earth I know,
No peaceful, shelt'ring dome,
This world's a wilderness of woe,
This world is not my home.

Refrain

To Jesus Christ I fled for rest;
He bade me cease to roam,
And lean for comfort on His breast
Till He conduct me home.

Refrain

I sought at once my Savior’s side;
No more my steps shall roam.
With Him I’ll brave death’s chilling tide
And reach my heav’nly home.

Refrain

3 comments:

  1. I am very sorry for you loss. Praying for your comfort today. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear of your loss :( May he rest in peace! Lots of love to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry, sweet friend. I lost my sweet papa at 94. I miss him terribly. Will be sending up prayers for you!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! I'm so happy to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails